Thursday, December 11, 2008

Football players and guns

From Examiner.com/cleveland, by Cleveland Browns Examiner

My fellow Examiner David Codrea wrote an article that referenced the recent "shooting drama" involving Plaxico Burress and himself.

I don't claim to have the knowledge or expertise in gun rights that Mr. Codrea has. What I think I can do is give a regular football fans perspective on the whole situation.

Personally, I have never been one to carry a gun. That's just a personal choice, and I believe it's important that people have the right to make that choice. Moreover, at some point in my life I may choose to carry a gun for protection. Carrying a firearm is important to a lot of citizens in this Country and, If done responsibly, can be a great thing.

I have lived and worked in many places that could be considered dangerous. Washington D.C, New York City, Cleveland, and Newark New Jersey at times can be considered dangerous places depending where you are and what you're doing.

I think the point that many fans are trying to make when they complain about athletes such as Plaxico Burress, is not the fact that they carry guns, it's the choices they make.

For instance, If you carry a gun you probably should make sure it's properly licensed. Also, If you carry a gun, it may be a good idea to have some training to prevent accidents. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I'm guessing Plaxico didn't mean to shoot himself. Furthermore, if he shot himself in the leg then it's a possibility he could have hurt someone else by accident.

I don't know what it's like to be a pro-football player. I don't know where some of the athletes grew up or the sort of life they lived. Additionally, I think it is imperative to understand that the NFL is diverse and has players who grew up both rich and poor, in good neighborhoods and bad.

NFL linebacker Joey Porter maintains that it's important for players to protect themselves because they are targets.

I agree with Mr. Porter, if you make a lot of money and live in big houses you could be considered a target for crime. I'm actually in favor of athletes' rights to carry firearms for protection, but it's also important that the players use common sense.

For example, if I knew I would using the subway late night in NYC I would try my best to dress casual. I know this sounds silly to some people, it's just that I felt if I was wearing something more flashy it would invite more attention. I didn't change my lifestyle or sacrifice my identity, I just adapted to circumstances. Circumstances never change in our existence. We may want them to, they just never will.

Crime exists and it usually happens at night. I don't have numbers or stats, just my instinct. Yes, crime happens anywhere and anytime I just feel that it's more likely to occur in a dark subway, alone, with an expensive watch, sneakers, and on my way to Queens at 4 in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I think the subway system is safe to use, it's not the same system the "Warriors" were using in 1979. I think just think it is important to plan ahead to try and prevent "accidents".

So, like Romeo Crennel mentioned, there are ways to carry a firearm responsibly and lawfully. In turn, there are also some things you can do so you don't have to use your firearm. Some really elementary examples might be: live more modestly, don't hang out in poor areas and wear flashy clothes or jewelry, and don't go out to places that make you vulnerable.

Why should pro athletes live by different standards than most?

Because they do live by different standards than most.

They are rich, famous, and popular. With great power comes great responsibility.

But as Mr. Codrea states, "sometimes the wolf comes to your door anyway."

In that case, you have to protect yourself.

No comments: